Sunday, July 1, 2012

Setting up your kitchen

The Prep Area

There just isn't much space is there? I recommend keep a medium size wooden cutting board on your truck. This will function as your prep area. You can use it on the bed or place it on the pull out desk.
I keep my knives in the cavity normally used for pens and put a folded towel underneath to prevent that cavity from getting dirty.
I have a large cabinet above this area which I keep my dry goods in and in the side door of this I keep my spatulas, scissors, pizza cutter, etc.

Microwave

Put them on your bed side table, velcro them to your fridge, bolt them to your top bunk, but for the love of God (or you might be seeing him soon) please secure them. I know from experience that in an accident if these are not secured they will be the first thing that hits you.

Refrigerator/Freezer(?)

You can install one of these in your truck with a lot of hard work. Rip out your cabinets (the ones not attached to your apu or light switches) and install a fridge or fridge/ freezer. I am currently unsure of how to do this, but will attempt to do a follow up post with photos. You will need some heavy duty hinges and some method of attaching them to the fridge and wall of your truck. Alternatively you can have a cooler, but in my experience they don't work too well.

Oven

Only place to store one is on the top bunk. Be aware that you cannot secure these so you are taking some risk, but they are heavy enough to stand large amounts of breaking power. The reason you cannot secure them has to do with safety during use. They needed to be moved away from the edges of the bed so that you can pull stuff in and out without burning yourself (i have scars).

Extra Dry Food storage locations

If you shop in bulk for certain items (noodles, soup and paper towels, etc) store the extras underneath the bed. If you run out of space then grab yourself a big plastic storage box from walmart (they are cheapest at Christmas).

No comments:

Post a Comment